Firefighters began battling multiple wildfires on October 8, 2017, in numerous counties across the entire state, prompting mass evacuations. Thousands of acres burned and threatened infrastructure as strong winds fueled the fast-moving fires. Below are resources to help those affected by those fires. If business owners have any questions or require assistance with their business, please contact GO-Biz. Be sure to view the following guide: State Resources for Businesses - Wildfires 2017.

For weekly updates from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), visit FEMA Updates

Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES)

Cal OES maintains up-to-date information as to the status of the California wildfires.

California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
Get the latest fire summary from CAL FIRE on the nearly two dozen large fires that have started in California since Sunday, October 9, 2017. Visit CA Statewide Fire Summary for information daily.

Employment Development Department (EDD)

According to the EDD, Employers directly affected by a disaster may request up to a 60-day extension of time from the EDD to file their state payroll reports and/or deposit state payroll taxes without penalty or interest.


Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance Benefits
For workers or self-employed individuals who lost jobs or had to work hours substantially reduced as a result of the wildfires in Butte, Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Nevada, Orange, Sonoma, and Yuba counties may be able to receive Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) benefits. Apply for DUA benefits online through EDD by using eApply4UI.

Franchise Tax Board (FTB)

According to FTB, California taxpayers impacted by Wildfires are granted an extension to file 2016 California tax returns and make payments until January 31, 2018. For more information, visit FTB News.

California Infrastructure and Economic Development Bank (IBank)
IBank was created in 1994 to finance public infrastructure and private development that promote a healthy climate for jobs, contribute to a strong economy and improve the quality of life in California communities. Their loan program information that may be of assistance during this time is below. 

  • CA Small Business Loan Guarantee Program - The SBLGP, through non-profit Financial Development Corporations (FDCs), issues loan guarantees and partners with eligible lenders to finance small businesses that experience capital access barriers.
  • Jump Start Loan Program - The Jump Start Loan Program (Jump Start) helps small businesses in low-wealth communities start, grow, and thrive. Jump Start provides microloans, technical assistance and financial literacy training.
  • Farm Loan Program - The Farm Loan Program supports direct loans to small farms through participating Financial Development Corporations (FDCs). Loans are 90% guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Farm Serviced Agency (FSA). 
Disaster Loan Assistance
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) provides low-interest, long-term disaster loans to businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters to repair or replace uninsured/under-insured disaster damaged property. SBA disaster loans offer a affordable way for individuals and businesses to recover from declared disasters.

California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA)
The CDTFA is offering tax relief to those impacted by the fires throughout the state. Tax and fee payers for the identified programs can request relief from penalties and/or interest and ask for an extension of time to file their tax or fee returns either by visiting CDTFA or by calling CDTFA's Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-800-400-7115 (TTY: 711). Visit CDTFA Offers Tax Relief for Businesses Impacted by Fires for further details. 

Board of Equalization (BOE)
According to BOE, if your property has been damaged by the recent fires, you may be eligible for property tax relief.


Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)
The ABC is committed to being as flexible as possible with those businesses with ABC licenses who have been affected by the recent wildfires in California. View the North Bay Fires Information for ABC Licensees Question and Answer sheet for helpful information.

California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

The DMV is offering limited services to residents affected by the wildfires raging across the state. Fire victims who need to replace lost or damaged DMV-related documents can do so free of charge at assistance centers in the impacted areas. For more information including locations for these services, visit DMV Assists CA Fire Victims .

Office of the State Treasurer

The office of the State Treasurer has begin the process of rolling out a suite of programs aimed at helping communities impacted by the Wildfires get access to financial resources. View the Helping Communities Rebuild After the Wildfires fact sheet for more information. 

USDA Rural Development
USDA Rural Development delivers a number of programs to help improve the quality of life in rural communities throughout the nation. These programs may also help rural communities, businesses and individuals impacted by a disaster such as fire, drought, or earthquakes.  For additional resources and information on applying for any of the programs, view the fact sheet: Rural Development Disaster Assistance.

Get in touch

  • Address: 1325 J St., Suite 1800
  • Sacramento, CA 95814
  • Phone: (877) 345-4633
  • Email Us

About Us

The Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) was created by Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. to serve as California’s single point of contact for economic development and job creation efforts.  GO-Biz partnered with the State's Information Technology Leadership Academy 22 to create this website.

Conditions of Use | Accessibility | Disclaimer